Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Annotation -- Hassan Abdullahi

Annotations Hassan Abdullahi
Citation:
Donghung Chung, et al. "Food and Beverage Advertising on U.S. Television: A Comparison of Child-Targeted Versus General Audience Commercials." Journal of Broadcasting & Electronic Media 52.2 (2008): 231-246. Academic Search Complete. EBSCO. Web. 18 Apr. 2011.

The authors of this article are Ron Warren, Robert H. Wicks, Jan Leblanc Wicks, Ingatius Fosu, and Donghung Chung. The article is making a comparison using quantities of Food and Beverage advertisements on US television between children and the general audience. The article talks about how even though major networks have announced marketing polices designed to combat childhood obesity, unhealthy foods are the most frequently advertised. I believe the authors are trying to uncover the truths behind the announcements made, and they give numbers to how advertisements linked to unhealthy foods are found to target children more than the general audience.
The article relies on the assumptions that the foods being advertised are unhealthy, meaning they have low nutritional value, and that the advertisements targeting children are in fact targeting only children.
Part 2: STEP 1
This secondary source will help my analysis of the advertisement because it researches the method in which fast food companies advertise their products to the audience. The secondary source also adds another important side to the topic, which is childhood obesity. However, the focus of my primary source analysis is the way McDonalds is selling their product, and this source is mainly about how childhood obesity is related to advertisements. I do not want to expand into this region (childhood obesity), but this source does offer insightful information.
Although it may not specifically answer some of the questions I had regarding the specific images portrayed by the advertisement, I feel that this source could be integral to the paper. It provides base, methods of advertisements by fast food companies, in which I can create a strong link to how this specific advertisement portrays its product.
Brainstorm Additional Sources: STEP 2
1. Paper, video, etc. on the relationship emotionally with parents and children to help relate the advertisement audience with the topic (childhood). I guess this source relies on observations.
2. A source that explains the methods of advertising products to children in depth (I think this was the main purpose of my analysis). This source also relies on observations and human behavior.
PART 3: The sources probably won’t conflict with one another because they derive from my base (probable) source about the relationship with children and parents. If anything, they will support each other because this analysis is based on psychology. My question on the tactics of advertisements will be answer by my first source, and my second source will probably support some of the claims I made (I didn’t have a research question that asked about the child/parent relationship).

No comments:

Post a Comment